Thursday, February 3

I must not be very smart...

Been a long time since I posted, too long really.  Several times I started to write something but it kept going in all kinds of directions.  Like I was scatter-brained or something…. Well, maybe I am but that is a different conversation all together…..


So now, today, after an epic failure last night on the deadmill I think I am starting to figure things out.  I am fatigued far more than I want to admit.  My HR is consistently higher than in past – especially considering I have been training regularly for 14 weeks.  My weight is above were I would expect it to be with the training too.  My calves have issues.  Not injuries – yet but bothersome none the less.  My feet even bother me.  Something I haven’t experienced in a long time.


Maybe what I need to do is forget all this training stuff and go skiing.  This is the best snow year we have had in many years and I have yet to get out other than for an hour with Carole at UMO 2 weeks ago.  Sure we had fun and the snow was nice, but it was short.  Also, when I go skiing with Carole, I actually want to be ‘with’ her – not off by myself just because I can go a little faster….


Then again, if I don’t continue the bike workouts, I will be diminishing my ability to do well at IMLP this summer.  To make it worse, every time I think I am ready for a run I get slapped in the face by my own lack of fitness.  Sore legs, sore feet, crampy calves and last night tight adductors and a funny weakness in my hamstrings….. I’m a mess….


What I think will help the run is if I can do 30 to 40 minutes at an easy pace 4 times a week, build to 5 per week.  Then add volume so I can get back to 35 to 45 miles per week in time.  Do like the experts say and only increase by 10% per week so I don’t add real injury to the weakened state I am in……


I also started to swim this week too. I’ve signed up for 8 lessons all on Monday’s at 6 PM and I figure I will swim on Friday’s too on my own.  


Seems like I just want to do too much.  bike 3 days a week, run 4 days, swim 2 days and go skiing 3 day too….I know that ain’t gonna happen – it’s just too much….. Especially if I am already suffering from deep fatigue……..

5 comments:

Caratunk Girl said...

Steve. Go skiing. It won't hurt IMLP or Boston. It will help you mentally. I just spent 5 days with a guy who runs 100 mile races AND has done IMLP. He said something that made a lot of sense to me - time on your feet counts - sure, you need the SBR time...but the skiing time keeps you from getting burnt out and injured. Try it. Promise you won't regret it.

Caratunk Girl said...

Oh. The 100 mile guy? His PR is 20 hours for 100 miles...He is looking to beat that in May on his 4th 100. CRAZY.

TreeMapper said...

I still want to do a 100 miler - seems like fun (sick).

"Auribus teneo lupum" meaning 'I hold the wolf by the ears' (and afraid to let go).

I say that becuase I fear getting hurt adding more stuff to my busy training. See, I know if I go skiing for fun, I'll still do all my workouts and something will break....

Jeff Sullivan said...

Steve,

I hear ya. I think you're got the right track on your running - back to basics to rebuild. I'm a fellow newbie in the haus - Nov OS as well (one week behind)- been watching your progress/comments as we're very similar age but you're one year ahead in the long course tri world. I'm envious of your vDot & w/kg - hoping to get there in the future. I'm volunteering @ IMLP this summer so I'll be looking for ya. I started the OS just coming off a hamstring injury back in August so i've been super careful in ramping up my speed work fearing the worst. The fatigue is building and definitely a consideration in everything I do - seems we have to make many sacrifices to be committed to this sport. Yesterday i blew off the bike to hit x-country skiis and get some sun - no guilt!! i think in our age bracket and experience level a few extra rest days sprinkled in are just what the doc ordered. Keep the faith we're in the last phase of a very difficult/challenging program. I'm breaking off the OS one week early to compete in an Oly in FL on 3/20 - 5 weeks to go!

Good luck in Boston - i'll be looking for your your results - i have an uncle who raced boston 33 consecutive years - 2 yrs ago @ 81 he broke the streak but he's still running.

TreeMapper said...

Thanks for the perspective Jeff - I think you are right on target. You and Mandy convinced me to go enjoy the snow tomorrow instead of the bike... that will leave Sunday open for a longish run.

I feel better about it already!